18 May 2011

I Found the Yeti and the Cave Man

Follow rokidoki on Twitter






I was going to pick up my Mom & Tita at Tektite, Ortigas and I got there kinda early. So I decided to swing by Pearl Drive to kill time and hang where else, but Starbucks. Then this little quaint orange corner store caught my attention.


I was intrigued by the name - Cave Man & Yeti. The Yeti part I kinda got - something sweet and cold (maybe another yogurt place?) but the Cave Man kinda puzzled me (beef ribs? turkey leg?).

So I entered the place which despite being a bit cramped had cutesy pillows which were comfortable enough.


find the yeti! =p
The Cave Man & Yeti now demystified upon looking at the menu (full menu and website here).

Yeti is the flavored shaved ice (with toppings available) and Cave Man are the Mochi Buns
I have tasted Mochi Buns before at Dec's Chinese Deli. Made from rice flour, milk, eggs, sugar and sesame seeds - imagine it being an Japanese/Korean version of a French profiterole (cream puff pastry) that is both chewy and airy. Really more of a snack (not too filling) that is best served warm and toasted. I think it would be nice if it had something inside like a real Mochi (ice cream? hahaha). These sell at P28 per piece here while the ones at Dec's (Wilson, Greenhills branch) is a better deal at P90 for 6 pcs. The Cave Man represents the Mochi Buns.

Mochi Buns in the heating display rack
Parang the Mini Buns are really mini! ;)
So I didn't really want these Mochi Buns so I looked at the menu again to see their Fire & Ice promo. It's a combination of 1 regular shaved snow (you guessed it, represented by the Yeti) with a fruit topping + 4 pcs chix wings from Chicken Park. For P160 seems like a good deal. I decided to get the Vanilla Ice with Strawberry and Spicy Sesame Wings.

Looks sulit. And I'm always a sucker for a combination of sweet & savory / hot & cold.
The chicken is fried to order and you can select a sauce to go with it (Original, Sweet Sesame, Ginger Soy & Spicy Sesame). It's tender and a decent size (2 chicken wings cut into 2 = 4 pcs). Order a la carte for P99 - option to have 2 drumsticks instead of 4 wings. The Spicy Sesame wings are really spicy with chopped siling labuyo (bird's eye chili) but the salty and sweet sauce gives it balance.


The shaved ice was a bit disappointing. It was just too sweet to begin with. And the strawberry syrup was like diluted strawberry jam - big, chewy, very sweet strawberry chunks. I might not order this individually (P48 for regular size + P10-P20 for toppings) again but what I enjoyed is how it became a counterpoint to the chili fried wings I was having.



It's actually a good combination hence I did not realize everything on my plate was gone. Not bad for P160 (that's P9 less if ordered a la carte). Too bad their electrical outlets are covered with stickers therefor no plugging of laptop - I can imagine why they did that because of the students at UA&P who makes extra long tambay even if they have finished their shaved snow. Peace!

Check out their promos at the website (highest shaved snow tower of the month gets 1 FREE regular shaved snow for 30 days!) and like them on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting place. May go there and try it out when I come home for a vacay. Cool!

    ReplyDelete