04 June 2011

Korean Chocolates = Heart

Follow rokidoki on Twitter




This week several friends from our agencies and my boss came back from Korea from a business meeting / shopping spree! hahaha We got several gifts from them which I really really luuuuurv!

Lovin the old school robot key chain, colorful scarf and the many many Face Masks!!!
But of course nothing beats food for pasalubong and chocolates at that!!! So what does Korea have to offer?


First got these Je Kiss chocolates. I assume the "Je" came from Jeju, the Korean Island where they stayed. The "Kiss" I dunno. Hahaha And don't you just love the Korean "English" they print out of everything (read: Korean stationery).


These chocolates are made of the highest graded materials with our best wishes. Enjoy the sweet taste and refresh yourself.
I love chocolates with an orange note. I was intrigued by what Jeju Mandarin tastes like - imagined it to be something like ponkan or kiat kiat. So what better way than to take a bite.

Luscious milk chocolate that melts in your mouth that then hits you with a sweet but nicely tangy orange filling which is very close to a Valencia or a Sunkist orange. A pleasant surprise that rounds up the richness of the chocolate.


The second one arouses my palate more and is definitely fascinating. Two things I love in one little package - something spicy and something chocolatey! Both also known to be aphrodisiacs! But it is not the first time I am eating something sweet but spicy (as a dessert).

Vix having sili (chili) ice cream at Naga. Quite nice actually.

Mexican Hot Chocolate which I use to dip churros in. Made thick and spiced with chili flakes and cinnamon. In Mexico they use Ancho chilies which are smokey and compliments the deep flavor of the chocolate well. (photo from Google)
Look at how they make a mascot out of the little chili to lure kids into eating it! Haha

Look at the warning: HOT!
The chocolate covering this confection is darker compared to the Je Kiss, but surprisingly sweeter. Either more sugar was added or the spiciness of the red chili filling enhances the sweetness of the choco covering.
It was somewhat comforting to see that the filling is not red like they show on the box.
Since I was accustomed to the combination, no big surprises. But do not get me wrong, this little truffle packs a kick and a bite which actually got me coughing for a few seconds there.

No need to go to Korea to get your Orange Chocolate fix. I think Lindt and Kit Kat Orange is available here already.



As for the chili chocolate, none that I know of selling it commercially here in Manila.

I will draw inspiration for desserts from these two Korean Chocolate discoveries. I was thinking of a chocolate orange panacotta and a milk chocolate cupcake with chili buttercream. Let me know what you think and hopefully I can make recipes out of these ideas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment