20 August 2011

DIY: Kaya Toast and Thick Toast with Soy Sauce Eggs

What's for breakfast today?

I had a sudden flashback of the Kaya Toast from Kopi Roti and the Thick Toasts from Toast Box that I had to fix myself some - soy sauce eggs included. I always love the contrast of flavors and textures - crunchy toast with smooth and creamy fillings, sweet kaya with the warm and salty eggs. Unbelievably easy to make - no real recipe around it so all you have to do is prep. Costs less than ordering it too but the party in your mouth is just as heavenly!



Ingredients:

Unsliced Pan Americano (from Pantojas or Pan De Manila work fine, you can ask them not to slice it just yet)
Eggs, room temperature
Cold Butter
Coco Jam (kaya)
Peanut Butter
Choco-Hazelnut Spread
Jam
Soy Sauce


Procedure:

1. Buying unsliced bread ensures you that it is the freshest from the batch. Cut it up into thin 1/4 inch slices for the kaya toast and a good 1 inch thickness for the thick toast. Toast in the oven, under a broiler or over a hot pan for about 4-5 minutes, until golden brown. Bread for the kaya toast should be crisp but the thick toast should still be soft and bready inside.


2. Meanwhile, prepare eggs. Soft-boiled eggs are done by dropping eggs in boiling water for 3 minutes. If you do not like the idea of soft-boiled eggs, I found that this work just as well with hard-boiled eggs, boiled for 7 minutes. Each egg gets around 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce (you should try it at least once).




3. Spread coco jam over the "thin" toasts and add slices of butter. Top with another piece of "thin" toast with coco jam.


4. For the thick toast, top with either peanut butter, jam or choco-hazelnut spread. I love Finetti as it tastes like Nutella (purists don't kill me), at half the cost. Available at Rustan's.


5. To serve the Kaya Toast, slice in half with a serrated knife and serve with the eggs. Here I served it with hard-boiled eggs.


6. For the thick toast, slice it into nine small cubes and serve with the eggs. I played with it and made a checkerboard design using different toppings.


No I did not top each of the cubes individually. Just prepare another set of thick toasts with different toppings and construct the patter on the serving dish, alternating flavors. A morning puzzle that will surely wake you up!
Yum yum yum! To eat the egg separately or dip your kaya and thick toasts into it is your decision. Sure to enjoy it either way! :D

4 comments:

  1. morning puzzles, love et! transforming the ordinary to extra-yummy! open your resto na! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love soft boiled eggs. I'll try this next time.

    I made beef pepper rice for bfast today. Next time, I'll take photos and post the recipe. It's very easy to make and cost much less than Pepper Lunch's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @alby - yeah easy to make pepper rice. just have to have the right seasoning (i.e. sauce) and fresh ingredients! generosity! share food finds and recipes! :)

    @ed - don;t you lurv the idea? hahaha fund my resto! find me a benefactor! 0_o

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! =)

    thanks for the finetti tip! ;-)

    ReplyDelete